BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(03-04-2023, 08:46 PM)Hi Frances Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 08:41 PM)Worzel Wrote:  We often hear that BBC News' graphics are 4:3 safe because World News is only broadcast in widescreen in some areas, so the UK and everyone else has to compromise...
 [Image: F37-DB654-AB62-4647-A7-DE-1-C3-C4579-EE6-B.jpg]

...yet they're quite happy to have boxes with people in them outside the 4:3 safe zone. In this case the presenter.

Literally all their branding contradicts itself... titles, lower thirds, boxes, Chameleon, screen graphics, the works.

I wonder what Martin Lambie Nairn would've made of it all!
BBC News graphics are in 14:9 safe, not 4:3 safe.
Those 4:3 SD feeds broadcast in 14:9 letterbox.
I take your point, but Christian would've only been half in shot (If that) in 14:9.
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, Frances, UTVLifer

It'll be interesting to see how the channel covers events with Trump tomorrow in NYC

(03-04-2023, 08:50 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 08:46 PM)Hi Frances Wrote:  BBC News graphics are in 14:9 safe, not 4:3 safe.
Those 4:3 SD feeds broadcast in 14:9 letterbox.
I take your point, but Christian would've only been half in shot (If that) in 14:9.
Sorry for not noticing it… It can’t be more awful!

[Image: 1680551788_2116354249.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Frances's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, SomeRandomStuff

I am watching bbc news world feed and they seem to be showing a bbc news sting that looked a lot better at least with the globe central and news in red text so why aren’t they using this in the titles ?
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, oscillon, Reith85

I can't say I think today has gone particularly well. Considering they have had a month of seemingly non-stop rehearsals, I had expected it to have been much more polished than it has so far been. All a bit underwhelming, really.

Some things I don't quite get:

[*]Why don't all the galleries have the new Chameleonised titles? It looked very disjointed having the new titles in Lucy Hockings' slot at 12, and then going back to the box titles for Matthew's slot in studio E. 
[*]What's with the 'meet the presenter' fillers? I get that they are there to fill World's ad breaks, but as a domestic viewer they are pointless, especially when it's just that spot and then back to the studio. It looks like it's part of the programme, which it isn't (and shouldn't be). 
[*]Why aren't said breaks being filled with UK news (which I believe was part of the plan)? 
[*]A sting has been made in the Chameleon style with the globe in the middle of the screen - so why couldn't the titles be adapted in the same way? Or if that wasn't possible, to use the title card seen on the studio screens? 
[*]The UK opt could have been managed so much better. It came from the balcony, right? So why just use that locked off MCU shot all the while? Why not use the three screen shot we saw for Marianna's explainer during the Six? That would look much more dynamic and less 'basic'. Or failing that, do a Sky and just have Lewis voice over endless B-roll. I don't like how Sky do it but it would at least hide some of the cracks.

Things I do like:

[*]The snappier headline sequences (though no headlines, or old-school one liners, would have been interesting to see).
[*]The one line graphics, and how they appear at the start of reports.
[*]The new-style intro to The Context.
[*]The new presenter lineup (mostly! I do miss Martine and friends, but am hopeful they'll still appear now and again.)

I do think (and hope) it will all get there. The new channel has only been on air for 12 hours, after all! Hopefully it will find its feet as staff get used to new ways of doing things. Just as long as those ghastly new titles are altered as soon as possible!
[-] The following 8 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, freeaxe, GalxiSprout, Josh, Quantum+83, Reith85, RhysJR, UTVLifer

(03-04-2023, 08:57 PM)Frances Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 08:50 PM)Worzel Wrote:  I take your point, but Christian would've only been half in shot (If that) in 14:9.

No worries. Maryam only had one arm in the promo which aired earlier. That was put down to the cuts. This probably is as well. Maybe its so his other half can present the UK opt?  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • chrisherald, octothorpe, UTVLifer

(03-04-2023, 08:57 PM)Frances Wrote:  
(03-04-2023, 08:50 PM)Worzel Wrote:  I take your point, but Christian would've only been half in shot (If that) in 14:9.

But still you can see that the lower thirds are much more careful than 14:9, it looks like they are still designed to be 4:3 proof.

What's more baffling is The Context titles don't feature the BBC top and NEWS bottom, yet that would actually fit and look OK, but they've persisted with it on the LN titles.

Baffling.
[-] The following 6 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, freeaxe, James, Plutobug, Reith85, UTVLifer

Even the flipper isn’t working anymore it’s just occupying a huge amount of space to show the website in tiny font, what the hell is the thinking in this…
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, freeaxe

[Image: 0-E836-F75-63-CD-42-BA-9-CFE-E51-CE22-EBDF4.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, thePineapple, UTVLifer