BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Let's stick to facts. Only Martine & Anita were News channel presenters from that group. Karin, Geeta & Kesha came from World.
[-] The following 7 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, Frances, Newsroom, Quantum+83, xlalonce

(17-08-2023, 01:20 PM)Keith Wrote:  Looking at the schedules for next week this remains the case.  Given the football will have finished that seems to confirm the change as being permanent.

Personally I think Nicky Campbell should remain the full two hours on BBC Two, whilst BBC News broke away at 10am (or didn't show it at all).  As a visualised radio programme on BBC Two it makes for a bit of variety, and it saves having two UK channels showing BBC News during the morning (or three when BBC Parliament is in recess).
Frankie McCamley seems to have been given the 9am - 12pm slot as a regular presenter, so maybe Nicky Campbell being dropped to 1 hour on the NC has something to do with Frankie now being a regular mid-morning face for UK viewers in this slot.

(17-08-2023, 07:20 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Frankie McCamley seems to have been given the 9am - 12pm slot as a regular presenter, so maybe Nicky Campbell being dropped to 1 hour on the NC has something to do with Frankie now being a regular mid-morning face for UK viewers in this slot.

Frankie's providing summer cover to the NC.

(17-08-2023, 05:28 PM)KatsKaravan Wrote:  Respectfully, not quite sure I agree. Certainly it's fair to say the ones chosen are mostly very good, but so were the presenters who 'lost out'. I suppose it shows just how many excellent presenters are at the BBC. 

I generally support the changes made this year, but still don't understand why the old NC presenters haven't been allowed to at least cover weekends and absences. The shifts are there and it would be surely be cheaper to use them than to pay freelancers?

The shifts currently without a fixed presenter are:

WEEKDAYS
0700-0900 (World feed) & U.K. daytime opt out
0900-1200

WEEKENDS
0500-0900 (World feed) & BBC One lunchtime news
0900-1400
1400-1800
1800-2300

As well as providing cover when others are on annual leave etc. So yes plenty of shifts but as others have said, would probably involve a pay cut.
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, PatrZDZ, Quantum+83, Reith85

(17-08-2023, 06:52 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  The facts are as follows:

Joanna Gosling chose not to take part in the farsical interview process that we are now finally finding out was indeed a farce. She went to Radio some months on. 

Karin Gianone works for BBC News and is in a holding pattern.
Kasia Madera works for BBC News and is in a holding pattern.
Annita McVeigh As above.
Martine Croxall - As above.
Geeta Guru Murthy - As above.
I'm not sure I see the relevance of this to what I wrote. I was just trying to counter this bizarre NC vs World narrative that some people seem interested in drumming up, when a) I don't see why it's hard to believe that Amroliwala, Fraser, Hakim and Hockings were, at least on paper, the most suitable candidates for a job that was basically more like their job than anybody else's, b) most of the forgotten five are ex-World presenters and c) more News channel presenters got promotions this year than demotions.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, Quantum+83, xlalonce

(17-08-2023, 08:33 PM)DTV Wrote:  I'm not sure I see the relevance of this to what I wrote. I was just trying to counter this bizarre NC vs World narrative that some people seem interested in drumming up, when a) I don't see why it's hard to believe that Amroliwala, Fraser, Hakim and Hockings were, at least on paper, the most suitable candidates for a job that was basically more like their job than anybody else's, b) most of the forgotten five are ex-World presenters and c) more News channel presenters got promotions this year than demotions.

Because the whole process of how we got to the merger was flawed/a farce and you know it is/was!
[-] The following 5 users Like News76's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Newsroom, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Indeed. Martine and Annita are the only ones of the five who are/were primarily News Channel. I consider(ed) Kasia, Geeta and Karin as World presenters who sometimes cover(ed) on the News Channel. I think the last time Karin covered the News Channel was 2012!
[-] The following 5 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, Quantum+83

Karin was, at least officially, a main presenter of BBC Worklife which was a joint WN and NC broadcast (replacing BBC Business Live) staffed by a duty “World” presenter and the duty 5am Word/Business presenter from The Briefing (usually Sally Bundock). This itself was as a result of cutbacks to the NC as it was, as Business Live, presented by the 5am WN presenter and the morning BBC Business updates for NC presenter - and this then didn’t work due to changes to the NC, which saw cutbacks in business coverage and resulting shift changes.

The programme turned out to be short lived due to Covid, but that was hardly her fault!

She also fairly frequently presented weekend simulcast editions of World News today so would have been seen by regular NC viewers then.
[-] The following 5 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(17-08-2023, 08:33 PM)DTV Wrote:  I'm not sure I see the relevance of this to what I wrote. I was just trying to counter this bizarre NC vs World narrative that some people seem interested in drumming up, when a) I don't see why it's hard to believe that Amroliwala, Fraser, Hakim and Hockings were, at least on paper, the most suitable candidates for a job that was basically more like their job than anybody else's, b) most of the forgotten five are ex-World presenters and c) more News channel presenters got promotions this year than demotions.
Merely stating the situation as it was and is indeed today. 

The relevance is to the conversation we're all having, nothing to do with any conspiracies.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • KatsKaravan, News76, Quantum+83

The whole channel is a mess - presentation, presenters, general lack of direction and editorial purpose. It's just a shame that this inquiry is only looking at one angle of the mess.
[-] The following 14 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, Frances, interestednovice, lepeterrr, News76, Nige, Quantum+83, Rolling News, Universal_r, UTVLifer