Coronation of King Charles III

That was an abrupt end to the concert programme yet again. Still, I suppose the news & Match of the Day can't run late. Kirsty should have thanked us all for watching to end the weekend's festivities, or someone on stage wished the crowds safe journeys home.
[-] The following 6 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76, UTVLifer

(07-05-2023, 09:54 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 09:34 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Yeah, you could compre Strictly and Happy Valley to the coronation of our King but it would be pretty daft to do so.

You know I am not comparing them, you are being deliberately confrontational 

What I am saying is that big TV programmes get up to 10m, exceptional moments of national importance can get 20-25m, nothing EVER gets more than 30m. So as a starting point already half the population aren’t watching. It’s how many watch after you’ve taken that into account that is important.

I can’t believe for example the Euros final was only watched by 50% of the country.

(07-05-2023, 10:06 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Just like with the Platinum Jubilee concert last year, I'm surprised that they didn't go back to Kirsty Young at the end to sign off the BBC's coronation coverage

I assume James Nesbit was meant to say something at the end.

(07-05-2023, 10:14 PM)Nobby Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 10:06 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Just like with the Platinum Jubilee concert last year, I'm surprised that they didn't go back to Kirsty Young at the end to sign off the BBC's coronation coverage

I assume James Nesbit was meant to say something at the end.
Do you mean Hugh Bonneville, as he was hosting?
[-] The following 4 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Ma76, UTVLifer

It's a shame they couldn't get any more A-listers for this as things only really kicked into top gear in the last half an hour

And that's the end of the final royal-event concert for what will almost certainly be quite some time, given that the Jubilee clock has now been reset with a new monarch

(07-05-2023, 10:09 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I wonder if some of the acts who declined the invitation are regretting their decision not to be part of it

The saying goes "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do". So the answer is almost certainly yes. They just may not be aware of it.
[-] The following 5 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, Ma76

Did felt pretty rushed, They could have easily added another 30 minutes and allowed Katy Perry and others to play an additional song
[-] The following 7 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76, UTVLifer

(07-05-2023, 11:47 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 10:33 AM)Omnipresent Wrote:  A peak audience of 13.4m and an average audience of 11.9m for the Coronation on BBC1.

A sizeable audience but clearly not in the league of other recent events.

twitter.com 

What is telling there is how big an audience there is for signed/accessible content.

I find this number very odd - there's a lot of variation in estimates, but even the most generous only has 250k who can speak BSL.

Even if you start to make wild assumptions that they were all in separate households and all watching with a lot of other people, it's very difficult to get to 1.7m viewers, so it really makes me wonder what is driving this?

(07-05-2023, 10:16 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 10:14 PM)Nobby Wrote:  I assume James Nesbit was meant to say something at the end.
Do you mean Hugh Bonneville, as he was hosting?

No, I meant James Nesbit. It was an attempt at humour based on him missing his cue earlier in the broadcast.

I assume that was probably due to an issue of some kind rather than him just not paying attention.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobby's post:
  • interestednovice

(07-05-2023, 09:54 PM)Andrew Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 09:34 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Yeah, you could compre Strictly and Happy Valley to the coronation of our King but it would be pretty daft to do so.

You know I am not comparing them, you are being deliberately confrontational 

What I am saying is that big TV programmes get up to 10m, exceptional moments of national importance can get 20-25m, nothing EVER gets more than 30m. So as a starting point already half the population aren’t watching. It’s how many watch after you’ve taken that into account that is important.

Diana's funeral peaked at 32million. I'm aware of how ratings generally work for these kinds of things, I never said I expected 55 million to tune in. I just said considering how much the fact this Royal event is a first for most has been hammered home it's surprising (or not for some) it rated at the lower end of the ''exceptional moments of national importance'' scale and not the higher end.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • bkman1990, Telefunken