Coronation of King Charles III

Thought it was a shame there were no closing credits. Especially with all the hard work involved by so many people.
[-] The following 12 users Like Worzel's post:
  • aaron_scotland, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Jeff, Kojak, Ma76, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(07-05-2023, 10:18 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  It's a shame they couldn't get any more A-listers for this as things only really kicked into top gear in the last half an hour

And that's the end of the final royal-event concert for what will almost certainly be quite some time, given that the Jubilee clock has now been reset with a new monarch

There was the children party at the palace for the late Queen’s 80th birthday and King Charles will be 80 in five years time so they might do a concert or celebration then. 

The 90th anniversary of VE Day in 2035 might be a big occasion matching the 90th anniversary of the armistice in 2008. Bound to be the last few veterans of WW2 still left by then.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76

(07-05-2023, 10:48 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 09:54 PM)Andrew Wrote:  You know I am not comparing them, you are being deliberately confrontational 

What I am saying is that big TV programmes get up to 10m, exceptional moments of national importance can get 20-25m, nothing EVER gets more than 30m. So as a starting point already half the population aren’t watching. It’s how many watch after you’ve taken that into account that is important.

Diana's funeral peaked at 32million. I'm aware of how ratings generally work for these kinds of things, I never said I expected 55 million to tune in. I just said considering how much the fact this Royal event is a first for most has been hammered home it's surprising (or not for some) it rated at the lower end of the ''exceptional moments of national importance'' scale and not the higher end.

And don't forget the queen's funeral peaked at 28 million only a few months ago, so the coronation is substantially less than even that, despite the poor weather in much of the country yesterday which likely got some people to watch who wouldn't have if the weather was good. So even in terms of major events of more recent times (including several football matches- the Euro 2020 final got nearly 30 million), viewing figures were lower.

I'm not sure why it's such a sore point for some to point out that while the viewing figures were high, they weren't as high as other major events both past and present but I've seen lots of it across the internet today.

Curious to know how the pooling arrangements worked for the coronation itself on Saturday.

Was it a mixture of ITN/Sky News and BBC staff/equipment across the board?

(07-05-2023, 09:05 PM)derek500 Wrote:  Sky's Dolby Atmos feed was perfect.
I thought Atmos was the sinister object attached to cars in the Doctor Who plot "The Sontaran Stratagem" in 2008? Tongue

What are Sky up to?
[-] The following 5 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, IanJRedman, Ma76, MorganLamia

(07-05-2023, 10:21 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The saying goes "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do".  So the answer is almost certainly yes.  They just may not be aware of it.

Beliefs change, but choosing not to take part in something for principled reasons very often means you will not come to regret it. 

(I don’t know the reasons why some declined, but assume anti-monarch sentiment is a factor for some.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Joe's post:
  • Telefunken

I thought the coronation concert was very good. Nice bit of “event television” that gets more people than usual watching the same broadcast together.

(07-05-2023, 10:36 PM)MajesticBass Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 11:47 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  What is telling there is how big an audience there is for signed/accessible content.

I find this number very odd - there's a lot of variation in estimates, but even the most generous only has 250k who can speak BSL.

Even if you start to make wild assumptions that they were all in separate households and all watching with a lot of other people, it's very difficult to get to 1.7m viewers, so it really makes me wonder what is driving this?
As it was on BBC Two rather than on the red button or online only for example, there could be a number of possibilities for why the rating would be higher than expected, such as someone leaving the TV on BBC Two the night before and not bothering to turn over, simply assuming that it was the same on every channel.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 10 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Frances, Happy2001, interestednovice, Jeff, Kojak, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • Happy2001, Ma76

(07-05-2023, 11:18 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Curious to know how the pooling arrangements worked for the coronation itself on Saturday.

Was it a mixture of ITN/Sky News and BBC staff/equipment across the board?
As was mentioned a few days ago, the BBC handled the ceremony, ITN did the procession. Sky provided the pictures from Waterloo in the morning, but I'd be surprised if they didn't do something else too.

As for staff and equipment, it will mainly be freelancers and facilities companies. Neither the BBC or ITV have OB departments any more. A lot of the connectivity was BBC or ITN but in terms of scanners/cameras etc they'll belong to the OBs provider which I think was NEP (it normally is, they're the biggest)

(07-05-2023, 10:54 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Thought it was a shame there were no closing credits. Especially with all the hard work involved by so many people.
It is, and it makes for a bit of an abrupt ending. They did the same for the Jubilee concert last year so I think it's just because of the nature of these concerts. Problem is the last song ends, big finale and that's it, there's nothing decent to run credits over
[-] The following 6 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Kojak, Ma76, News Engineer, Stuart

(08-05-2023, 07:46 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  twitter.com 

Apparently Sky News/Sky Showcase peaked at 800k
[-] The following 2 users Like Gibsy's post:
  • London Lite, Ma76