Coronation of King Charles III

(14-04-2023, 12:59 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(14-04-2023, 12:36 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Correct. The last one was two years before ITV launched, so nobody in the UK except the BBC has ever covered one.
Back in 1953 barely 2 million homes had a TV set and they were generally in large cities. Most people would have had to see a newsreel about it in the cinema a few days later.

It would have been broadcast on the radio too, since it has a higher penetration than TV would have done at the time. Probably the Home Service?

But yes, far more likely that it would have been seen on a newsreel by the general public. Probably something like this:
www.youtube.com 

– and simulcast on the the Light Programme. The Third Programme appears to have been evening only at that time.

the whole of the Coronation Number of the Radio Times is online - the day's listings can be found here:

genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

A lot of the country couldn't get TV at the Time of the last coronation. There wasn't enough time to get the transmitter for Northern Ireland finished so a relay was built in Belfast recieving off air from Scotland. Another temporary  relay was set up at Truleigh Hill for Brighton and Worthing which came on air about a month beforehand

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have been reading how the US stations got to air the coronation - having film cans of the coronation flown out to the US straight after the coronation ceremony had ended. Handy that there is a 5 hour time difference, enabling the planes to fly the cans out fast to the east coast.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(14-04-2023, 10:08 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  A lot of the country couldn't get TV at the Time of the last coronation. There wasn't enough time to get the transmitter for Northern Ireland finished so a relay was built in Belfast recieving off air from Scotland. Another temporary  relay was set up at Truleigh Hill for Brighton and Worthing which came on air about a month beforehand

There was also a third temporary relay was set up in Newcastle.

(14-04-2023, 12:36 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(14-04-2023, 09:36 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Just had a thought. It will the first Coronation not just for ITV but also Sky et al...
Correct. The last one was two years before ITV launched, so nobody in the UK except the BBC has ever covered one.

And probably fair to say nobody involved in the coverage then will be involved in it this time, other than perhaps being interviewed if they can find someone.

The excitement though across the country is negligible - whether it steps up in the days ahead will be interesting.   The interest will be from it being something most of us haven't seen before, just like a funeral for a monarch.

See the BBC have now announced some acts for the concert on the Sunday - Take That, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie seem to be the headliners.   They're still very cagey on the times with "late afternoon/early evening" the only info available just three weeks out, but as there is a segment lighting up the nations buildings it would appear it's running past sunset. I doubt public transport is that great around Windsor on a Sunday evening of a Bank Holiday weekend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

Reading back on the 1953 coronation, we can see just how anti television the establishment was in 1953 - the Prime Minister Winston Churchill said television shouldn't be allowed into the abbey, the Earl Marshall was against it - all proves to show these posh, arrogant aristocrats wanted to keep the spectacle unseen from the general public, so to keep the "magic" of monarchy - they knew the world was going to change fast, and they didn't want their world to change, which TV should slowly do.

Thankfully we had Prince Phillip who at least had some idea of the modern world in 1953, he encouraged his wife to agree to bring TV cameras into the abbey, but it took one hell of an effort. He alone couldn't change her mind, he had to reply on the power of the newspapers who printed daily stories about the stupidity of the establishment not allowing cameras in to televise the ceremony, all the bad publicity forced the government's hand, and they relented, but only down to the bad PR, not about wanting the public, who paid for the damn coronation in the first place, to actually see what their money was being wasted (or spent) on.
[-] The following 5 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Brekkie, Telefunken, Tim G, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(15-04-2023, 09:51 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(14-04-2023, 12:36 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Correct. The last one was two years before ITV launched, so nobody in the UK except the BBC has ever covered one.

And probably fair to say nobody involved in the coverage then will be involved in it this time, other than perhaps being interviewed if they can find someone.

The excitement though across the country is negligible - whether it steps up in the days ahead will be interesting.   The interest will be from it being something most of us haven't seen before, just like a funeral for a monarch.

See the BBC have now announced some acts for the concert on the Sunday - Take That, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie seem to be the headliners.   They're still very cagey on the times with "late afternoon/early evening" the only info available just three weeks out, but as there is a segment lighting up the nations buildings it would appear it's running past sunset.    I doubt public transport is that great around Windsor on a Sunday evening of a Bank Holiday weekend.

I've noticed that myself. In terms of "event television" it will be huge but the media coverage right now seems perfunctionary.

(15-04-2023, 10:53 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  I've noticed that myself. In terms of "event television" it will be huge but the media coverage right now seems perfunctionary.
I think the media interest will increase as we get closer to the date. Public interest is certainly visible.

It's important to remember that people in their 60s weren't around for the last one, and may not be around for the next one, so this is a once in a lifetime event for many. Whether or not you're a supporter of the monarchy, we are rather good at putting on a good display when the occasion demands it.

True, 1953 is 70 years ago after all. Anyone under the age of 75 probably doesn't remember it. And Charles could potentially last 20 years, since he's in his 70s now and his parents lived to their 90s. Nobody who WAS around for Elizabeth's coronation is likely to be around for William's, and even those who were kids at the time (i.e. in their 70s now) have a high chance of not living that long. Charles's will be their only chance to see one.
[-] The following 3 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer, xlalonce