Strictly - 2023

There is good reason to move away from Twitter but other areas of the BBC haven't and you'd think if was a decision they'd at least make a post saying to follow their accounts elsewhere for updates - ideally to a feed within the BBC website.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer

(30-09-2023, 06:44 PM)Keith Wrote:  I've noticed that this week when the dancers go up to see Claudia they're not playing a clip from the couple's performance. They were still using clips during last week's show, which is something that was introduced in 2020.
Looks like all the cast are all back up on the balcony too with the positions opposite the judges now gone completely.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bilky asko, Reith85, UTVLifer

(01-10-2023, 12:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Looks like all the cast are all back up on the balcony too with the positions opposite the judges now gone completely.

Remind me of that previous situation, I have forgotten - all Covid era restrictions or styles have been gradually dropped - the only thing I see is the judges podiums which I kind of dislike, which of course were created for social distancing in 2020, but come 2022, it looks like they just slammed them together - instead of a long single desk used since the show started in 2004.

I never disliked the podiums visually, but they don't really fit with Strictly post COVID. Having said that, the desk they used before COVID looked tired, they'd need a new one (preferably a little bigger) if they were to revert. 

Was rewatching a bit of the early series in the 2000s and the desk back then was very, very tight for the judges.

(02-10-2023, 08:51 PM)GlasgowCruiser Wrote:  I never disliked the podiums visually, but they don't really fit with Strictly post COVID. Having said that, the desk they used before COVID looked tired, they'd need a new one (preferably a little bigger) if they were to revert. 

Was rewatching a bit of the early series in the 2000s and the desk back then was very, very tight for the judges.

You should have seen the desk used for Dancing with the Stars in the US during their social distancing era, it was huge, with the judges spaced out. Looked sort of like the super long desk Good Morning Britain had during social distancing.

They used a desk at Blackpool last year that was essentially a mashup of the previous desk and the new podiums, using the shape and length of the previous desk but with the front in the same style as the individual podiums (managed to get a picture from The Mirror). I'm surprised they didn't decide to use it as the main desk for the series seeing as all other covid changes have been undone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like PJamo's post:
  • Happy2001, JosiahStuart

Even pre-covid the old judges desk always looked really cramped compared to the ITV equivalents, so glad they've not reverted to that, though it is surprising they've not just gone for a bigger version of the one desk now. I guess although all visible protocols have been dropped there are probably contingencies just in case something happens, so keeping the seperate desks means if needs be they can be split again.

I did think having the other pairs sat at tables to one side actually added to the "ballroom" feel of the set and gave us better shots of them cheering each other on than the balcony does. Although understandable it's gone if they ever do get around to redesigning the Clauditorium I think incorporating that at that end of the set and perhaps having more of a terrace leading up to Claudia's space where some are seated could work well.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • PJamo, UTVLifer

Apologies if this has been answered before but how do they do the images on the dance floor?

I can’t see how it could be projected from above as if it was then surely it would show on the dancers, and there’d be a break in the image where their shadow was.

And yet it doesn’t appear to be made up of screens either as it looks wooden when there’s no image.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

Multiple projectors so that there are no breaks in the image on the floor. You can occasionally see the projections on their shoulders, but the follow spots help hide them.

www.tvforum.co.uk 

amp.issuu.com 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew Wood's post:
  • UTVLifer

It looks like they're still using some AR this series, but so far have been using it sparingly. I guess during Covid it was used more as a set/props substitute at times.

On a related note are they still using the remotely operated camera track on the right, where during Covid the dancers sat? Maybe it's the reverting to having the audience sitting there which makes it less obvious.

Naturally certain papers are reporting that Just Stop Oil have Strictly on their list of targets, which is perhaps just a 'state the obvious' article. Can't recall if Strictly has ever had such an incident occur, though I recall protests during Britain's Got Talent and the National Lottery in the past.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.