Sky News

Am watching the Press Preview for the first time in ages. Anna Botting really is excellent in that slot. She handles the discussions really adeptly and always with good humour. I remember when she started on late nights, and she'd be off all over the schedule covering for anyone and everyone rather than doing lates... now, though, I can't imagine her outside of that shift. A class act.

But... can we please have guests back in the studio where possible? Doing it over Zoom/Skype just looks so awkward, especially as different guests have different devices/internet connections, so the DTL quality varies per guest. As one poster here so beautifully put it, it makes the Press Preview look like an HR meeting. Probably the one thing Dan Wootton's GB News show has going for it is that the panel are always in the studio.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, London Lite, Toby brown, UTVLifer

I'm a big fan of the 2005 theme (like many here I suspect Big Grin ). A comment on the only available full bed on YouTube suggests that there were quite a few variations. Would anyone happen to have found any surviving traces of the other themes on the internet?

Quote:I liked Sky News with this impressive score. 2005 was a great period. They had different versions of titles with bed for this period, this was by Adelphoi. This was one of two versions of Pacey. Others were: Original Orchestral Strings Dramatic Crisp Driving Action

(22-04-2023, 01:40 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I'm a big fan of the 2005 theme (like many here I suspect Big Grin ). A comment on the only available full bed on YouTube suggests that there were quite a few variations. Would anyone happen to have found any surviving traces of the other themes on the internet?

Quote:I liked Sky News with this impressive score. 2005 was a great period. They had different versions of titles with bed for this period, this was by Adelphoi. This was one of two versions of Pacey. Others were: Original Orchestral Strings Dramatic Crisp Driving Action
Yes! Bring it back, I say! There were indeed two versions of Pacey: the first being the intro/headline music, and the second was used for 'coming up' sequences, the :15/:30/:45 headlines and the breakfiller. That second bed was beautiful, but it was ditched after about a year, I think due to complaints of it being 'too repetitive', and replaced with some strings and synths monstrosity.

I believe the Strings bed is the one featured below, in one of Martin Anderson's excellent mocks:

www.youtube.com 

It was mainly used for the (sponsored) market board, I think.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, matthieu1221

At 14.59 the YouTube feed went from international to UK as the clock appear. Not sure if that was timed for the emergency alert test?

Well the .com covering the clock is back right now so it was still International the whole time the clock appeared just before 3pm before being covered up again
[-] The following 2 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • bkman1990, watchingtv

I noticed on the YouTube stream last night, at the start of the midnight bulletin, the "skynews.com" covering the clock was on-screen during the TOTH ident (when the clock wouldn't have been on-screen) but after the ident finished it was gone, so the clock was on-screen. This was fixed after the break but weirdly it happened yesterday too, also before the midnight bulletin.
[-] The following 2 users Like SB678's post:
  • bkman1990, watchingtv

(18-04-2023, 04:31 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Tuned in to BBC News at about 10:10 this morning to see how they were covering the SNP arrest - not at all, as it turned out. Nicky Campbell was holding a phone in discussion about Just Stop Oil. So I switched to Sky News… where Ian King and a guest were discussing a fintech summit. Not exactly ‘First for Breaking News’ now, is it? If Sky were smart and moved Ian King to a later slot (say, 4pm) they could really clean up in the mornings. It feels as if he is only in the 10am slot as that conveniently fills a gap.

Quite surprised the Ian King show is still going TBH though guess it brings in some desireable demos, even if it's an odd time for a business oriented show.

BTW who replaced Dermot on Sky News Tonight?
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(23-04-2023, 09:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(18-04-2023, 04:31 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Tuned in to BBC News at about 10:10 this morning to see how they were covering the SNP arrest - not at all, as it turned out. Nicky Campbell was holding a phone in discussion about Just Stop Oil. So I switched to Sky News… where Ian King and a guest were discussing a fintech summit. Not exactly ‘First for Breaking News’ now, is it? If Sky were smart and moved Ian King to a later slot (say, 4pm) they could really clean up in the mornings. It feels as if he is only in the 10am slot as that conveniently fills a gap.

Quite surprised the Ian King show is still going TBH though guess it brings in some desireable demos, even if it's an odd time for a business oriented show.

BTW who replaced Dermot on Sky News Tonight?
I think they keep it going as it is the extent of their business coverage these days (the hourly  updates were dropped in 2016). 

No one has replaced Dermot yet, as far as I am aware.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • UTVLifer

(23-04-2023, 09:16 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(23-04-2023, 09:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Quite surprised the Ian King show is still going TBH though guess it brings in some desireable demos, even if it's an odd time for a business oriented show.
I think they keep it going as it is the extent of their business coverage these days (the hourly updates were dropped in 2016).
The 10:00-11:00 slot is after the start of the business day in the UK, so it's a good time to analyse any company results and allow guests to get to the studio in the City for an interview or a DTL from the USA. It can also just revert to other breaking news if required.

If there is an important business story during the day, Ian King does pop up again to do reports from the City studio.
[-] The following 6 users Like Stuart's post:
  • aaron_scotland, Gibsy, Happy2001, Hellsloot, Kojak, UTVLifer

Looks like everything has crashed at Sky News, they seem unable to play reports out at the moment.