The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(07-11-2022, 12:49 PM)ArthurVX Wrote:  
(05-11-2022, 04:07 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Which is dumb, as if you're watching on a small mobile phone screen, surely it's not HD?

Well... phones with 1080p (and 1440p) displays exist, and they're quite common these days (1440p less common, obviously).

(15-11-2022, 09:59 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Unlikely. If they were doing that they would have had a commercial card so the pint glass would have been present like on news clips of sport events.  I'm quite sure there was a proper circuit so c4 had talkback in sync to get in and out of the ad-hoc breaks cleanly.

Indeed, it seems like it would be an unnecessarily shoddy way of doing things. I'm not sure it'd be a great advert for Sky if a signal loss message popped up half-way through, for example.

Not sure why I posted a question mark at the end of what I wrote earlier!

BBC Three showing the FA Cup replay tonight, is this the first time they've shown a domestic club match live?

(15-11-2022, 08:45 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  BBC Three showing the FA Cup replay tonight, is this the first time they've shown a domestic club match live?
Arsenal vs Reading in the WSL was shown on BBC Three on 2 March.

I meant to say a domestic men's match, I should have been clearer.

Are the international friendlies being played this week part of UEFA centralised friendly rights? I didn't think they were as Sky are showing the Scotland and Ireland matches over the next few days (and not Premier / Viaplay) but they seem to be using the standard UEFA graphics which has made me think the rights have been sold centrally by UEFA?

Ste

Visit the Internet Commentator Database  - www.icdb.tv 

(16-11-2022, 06:03 PM)Ste Wrote:  Are the international friendlies being played this week part of UEFA centralised friendly rights? I didn't think they were as Sky are showing the Scotland and Ireland matches over the next few days (and not Premier / Viaplay) but they seem to be using the standard UEFA graphics which has made me think the rights have been sold centrally by UEFA?

Ste

I'm thinking they are part of the previous rights deal (that ended in March) as ESPN (who lost the rights like Sky) are showing these games in the USA, not Fox/Fubo that showed June/September's Nations League games, and as you say the same has happened in the UK with Sky/Viaplay. Possibly the matches that were usually due to take place in June ahead of a normal World Cup?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Ste

Apple has announced its plans for MLS coverage: the bulk of the matches go to a new subscription service, MLB Season Pass. Launching on February 1, the ad-supported service will be available in over 100 countries and regions, most of where Apple TV+ is already available. MLS opening weekend will serve as a free pass to the new service, with selected matches (including top playoff matches and Leagues Cup matches) also airing on the core Apple TV+ offering and/or free on the Apple TV app:

www.apple.com 

Additionally, all MLS clubs will have the Apple TV sponsorship on the sleeve patch down the MLS logo, as shown on St. Louis City FC's kit unveiled also today:

[Image: PATEOM6IDBCQFBLSOR5IGNPKS4.jpg]
Picture courtesy of KMOV/Gray Television
[-] The following 1 user Likes Medianext.MX's post:
  • RhysJR

In terms of international interest, I can’t really see there be any. If it was one of the European League’s then maybe.

Really it’s the sort of thing that would work as a free ad on for all Apple TV subscribers to boost that service and in term build an audience for that league. Can’t really see it bringing in people who mostly have never bothered watching in the first place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Medianext.MX

WBD are closing their international golf streaming service Golf TV. They will retain international rights to the PGA Tour with coverage moving to Discovery+, Eurosport, or sub licensed to local partners. Worth noting that the service never made it to the U.K. and Ireland with WBD opting to sublicense coverage to existing rights holder Sky instead.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, Medianext.MX, RhysJR

Sounds like (at 1:55 onwards) that Sue Barker thinks that Clare Balding will replace her as the BBC's Wimbledon host.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, DE88, UTVLifer