BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(08-04-2023, 08:54 PM)Chud Wrote:  
(08-04-2023, 08:13 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  On-air staff who were working flat out for a month to present on the channel during the pilots month deserve some time off, and it's Easter weekend? Just a thought.  Rolleyes
Working 4 weeks without a break isn’t exactly hard going. And it’s such a poor business decision to give holiday (if that is the case) to a large portion of your team, then paying extra for cover. Especially when cost is a major factor at the moment.
I think a scenario has been invented here that is no different than normal

The legacy news channel presenters would have been presenting the news channel over the last 4 weeks whether it had been a normal period or the transition period.

The fact the World presenters were not on air was no different than normal as they wouldn’t have been doing shifts on the News Channel in the first place
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(08-04-2023, 08:54 PM)Chud Wrote:  
(08-04-2023, 08:13 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  On-air staff who were working flat out for a month to present on the channel during the pilots month deserve some time off, and it's Easter weekend? Just a thought.  Rolleyes
Working 4 weeks without a break isn’t exactly hard going. And it’s such a poor business decision to give holiday (if that is the case) to a large portion of your team, then paying extra for cover. Especially when cost is a major factor at the moment.

Not guna lie ive always been a tad bugged when people comment on how many hours presenters do “without a break” I do 12 hour days 5 days a week 8hr Saturdays, and of 13 hours being at work only 50 odd minutes of them is a genuine rest. Been this busy since march 2020 lockdown and I sure as hell know I’m doing a lot more for a lot less than those presenters even on their reduced salaries. Not hating on there work but yea there’s plenty more industries where employers are doing a lot more for a lot less and for no praise or appreciation

(08-04-2023, 01:07 PM)harryb Wrote:  We thought Sumi was doing long shifts but Samantha Simmonds has returned for BBC One 1pm bulletin. Lucy Grey continues on the NC.

Also a new close on the trundle cam shot.

[Image: Screenshot%202023-04-08%20at%2013_13_59.png]

Minor detail here but it’s good to see the copyright. BBC news ditched them years ago at the end and it always felt off not seeing a copyright at the end. (BBC world always used to have them)
[-] The following 10 users Like damian's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, Chud, DeMarkay, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Reith85, TVFan, UTVLifer

(08-04-2023, 09:04 PM)damian Wrote:  
Minor detail here but it’s good to see the copyright. BBC news ditched them years ago at the end and it always felt off not seeing a copyright at the end. (BBC world always used to have them)
The English Regions certainly have always continued using a copyright caption at the end of their programmes.

Generally, BBC One bulletins haven't had proper closes, just a throw to the nations/regions. The NC just threw to the weather.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Superman1986

(08-04-2023, 07:34 PM)bakamann Wrote:  I was busy yesterday and just skimmed the previous pages, and I just wanna reply to some of them...

(07-04-2023, 05:44 AM)kookaburra Wrote:  It comes down to internal choices by the BBC. The ABC has endured decades of this culture war stuff with regular funding freezes and cuts from conservative governments, but they continue to run a domestic news channel on what would be a fraction of the cost for a much smaller audience! 
In addition to that, ABC is also operating the ABC Australia channel, which they consider as their "international channel", although it is broadcasting only in the Southeast Asian region. The channel mostly simulcast ABC News channel, but also airs Pre-school, Aussie football and Drama (including 7's Home and Away).

The channel's previous incarnations, ABC Asia-Pacific and Australia Network, was funded by the Foreign Affairs department and commercial advertisements, but the Abbott government cuts its funding and forced to close the channel. I believe the current channel is funded directly under ABC, considering that it has zero adverts now.

(07-04-2023, 02:26 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Can anyone see the Asia Pacific version? What is seen on same promos in that area? Thanks

[Image: vlcsnap-00017.png]

AET typically refers to the time in New South Wales, I think. Aussie timezone is a bit confusing sometimes, since QLD is AEST all year-round but NSW, VIC and TAS observes AEDT.
ABC Australia has a larger reach than just Southeast Asia. It also has its own iview service www.abcaustralia.net.au  

It was previously called the Australia Network and was funded through the Department of Foreign Affairs, which was cut by the Liberal (Tory) government in 2013. It had regular OTH bulletins which actually fed a lot of content to the ABC NC in its early years.  

The new ALP government is restoring funding with a particular focus on the pacific parlinfo.aph.gov.au 

Among other things to protect the ABC www.theguardian.com 

Again, the ABC has endured culture war nonsense and conservative cuts for decades and is seemingly quite adept at ‘posting through it’. The BBC doesn’t seem to have quite the same nous.

Also AET is Australian Eastern Time, so consistently Victoria, NSW, Tasmania and the ACT. It’s not used much anymore with AEST and AEDT the common styling.
[-] The following 4 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • bakamann, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

(08-04-2023, 09:04 PM)damian Wrote:  
(08-04-2023, 08:54 PM)Chud Wrote:  Working 4 weeks without a break isn’t exactly hard going. And it’s such a poor business decision to give holiday (if that is the case) to a large portion of your team, then paying extra for cover. Especially when cost is a major factor at the moment.

Not guna lie ive always been a tad bugged when people comment on how many hours presenters do “without a break” I do 12 hour days 5 days a week 8hr Saturdays, and of 13 hours being at work only 50 odd minutes of them is a genuine rest. Been this busy since march 2020 lockdown and I sure as hell know I’m doing a lot more for a lot less than those presenters even on their reduced salaries. Not hating on there work but yea there’s plenty more industries where employers are doing a lot more for a lot less and for no praise or appreciation

Wait... You work 73 hours a week?
[-] The following 11 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, cando, Frances, Hadrien, itsrobert, Quantum+83, Rolling News, strollfan, SunburntRock89, thevaran

Samantha, Lucy Grey and Tanya have been fixtures on weekends for some time now, so their appearances are no surprise. As for others, some of them seem to be gone for good (Kasia), some are staying but in different roles (Martine, Annita, Shaun). Lukwesa hasn't been seen and tweeted something about working on radio. Not sure about Geeta and Karin's fate.
[-] The following 4 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(08-04-2023, 09:54 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Samantha, Lucy Grey and Tanya have been fixtures on weekends for some time now, so their appearances are no surprise. As for others, some of them seem to be gone for good (Kasia), some are staying but in different roles (Martine, Annita, Shaun). Lukwesa hasn't been seen and tweeted something about working on radio. Not sure about Geeta and Karin's fate.

I believe Shaun Ley has moved over to BBC Radio, going by this Tweet: twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Reith85's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Quantum+83

So we should be expecting new titles soon. 

If the roll out is anything like its been managed already, I wonder if we'll end up with new titles but the old music, only for new music to appear 2 months later?
[-] The following 9 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, fatal paper cut, interestednovice, Ittr, Quantum+83, Reith85, Superman1986, thevaran, Tsigriwa

(08-04-2023, 10:31 PM)Worzel Wrote:  So we should be expecting new titles soon. 

If the roll out is anything like its been managed already, I wonder if we'll end up with new titles but the old music, only for new music to appear 2 months later?

I know the BBC is a huge organisation but I honestly don't understand how ill co-ordinated this roll-out has been over the last 6 days. It's akin to those in charge being asleep at the wheel. At times, you wonder if they actually remember they're producing news for a visual medium here.

First time it's not Sumi doing non-WNA DC bulletin.

[Image: image.png]

It is Carl Nasman who recently tweeted about his new role at the BBC.
twitter.com 

And they are going to repeat Unknown Soldier investigation inside this hour's bulletin again.
[-] The following 8 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, cando, chrisherald, Chud, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Reith85, UTVLifer