BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(26-05-2023, 06:30 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  No sorry, I meant it in a jokey way Big Grin (I know sarcasm doesn't always come across well on the internet).

On a related note though, the The One Show theme tune is based on Horny by Mousse T:
www.youtube.com 

twitter.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • AndrewP, Former Member 406

(28-05-2023, 04:25 PM)Josh Wrote:  On a related note though, the The One Show theme tune is based on Horny by Mousse T:
www.youtube.com 

twitter.com 

I'd hat to correct you but ...

Actually, didn't David Lowe - The One Show's theme tune composer and eminent BBC News theme tune composer - mention in various interview that he based it around the trumpet motif used in one of his own works? The work in particular is from his latin jazz project Touch & Go from around 1998 and the single Would You?.
Video Source: David Lowe Music on Vimeo.

Also a funny thing is around a year later would start his BBC News Awakening.
[-] The following 8 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Josh, Quantum+83, Studio7, woodnorton

God, I remember that song... no idea David Lowe was responsible.
[-] The following 5 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Quantum+83

(28-05-2023, 05:35 PM)James2001 Wrote:  God, I remember that song... no idea David Lowe was responsible.

Yep, one of the biggest brain bamboozlers of all time.

He was also responsible for the 'world' / 'new age' album called Dreamcatcher released around 1997. An album that would inform the sound of the three specially created tracks for the BBC World: The Music single in 2001.
[-] The following 5 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, woodnorton

(28-05-2023, 05:32 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  I'd hat to correct you but ...

Actually, didn't David Lowe - The One Show's theme tune composer and eminent BBC News theme tune composer - mention in various interview that he based it around the trumpet motif used in one of his own works? The work in particular is from his latin jazz project Touch & Go from around 1998 and the single Would You?.
Video Source: David Lowe Music on Vimeo.

Also a funny thing is around a year later would start his BBC News Awakening.
Indeed, The One Show music had elements of Would You? in it. David mentions it (and demonstrates how the theme was put together) in a radio interview I did with him a few years ago. Skip along to 24 minutes in...

youtu.be 

There's been a bit of discussion on here over the domestic vs international news editorial priorities of the new channel, so, with eight weeks of the new channel now nearly complete, I thought I'd try and put a number on it to give the discussions some actual evidence. Using the archive.org recordings, I've noted the top three headlines every day at 17:00 - i.e., what used to be regarded as the premium hour for UK viewers - and classed them as either UK, US or World news depending on the location and/or framing of the story. For days when they were in rolling coverage mode at 17:00, I used 16:00 instead.

Of the top three stories across these first 56 days, 66 (39%) were UK stories, 29 (17%) were US stories and 73 (43%) were from the rest of the world. When looking at just the lead story, the proportions are roughly the same - 22 (39%) UK, 8 (14%) US and 26 (46%) RoW. Considering the dominance that the few main stories get in terms of coverage on the new channel, these proportions are likely a rough analogue for the total time devoted to such stories - in which case we're probably actually a bit closer to the old NC, which was typically around two-thirds UK news, than WN, which was usually only around 10-15% UK news*. There's also not much evidence of the supposed US dominance of the new channel.

What I found most interesting, though, was that there's been a seeming shift in the last few weeks, particularly in terms of lead stories. In the first four weeks (April), UK news led 7 times (25%) - nearly all of which were reasonably justifiable editorially. But in the last four weeks (May), UK stories have led 15 times (54%). Obviously, some of this is the Coronation, but there does seem to be a greater lean towards certain UK-big, World-nothing stories recently. In the last week, Madeleine McCann led over F16s being given to Ukraine; the Cardiff car crash over De Santis' presidential bid; and UK travel delays over the Turkish election. Does certainly feel like a push to give UK news greater undue prominence.

Obviously this is just a snapshot from (largely) one hour of the day, but it is one of the UK channel's strongest hours, so when more people's perceptions of the channel will be formed.

(28-05-2023, 10:34 PM)DTV Wrote:  There's also not much evidence of the supposed US dominance of the new channel.
It's more noticeable during overnights in the UK, which makes sense. The new channel's slower pace as you've mentioned before probably gives that perception during other hours.
For me, the problem is the limited time a bulletin has and the time spent on US domestic politics and culture wars is not the best use of time, which also happened on WN for the last few years before the merger. The amount of time they've given to them comes at the expense of other more newsworthy international stories. E.g. If I'm remembering correctly, Peru's crisis has been pretty much ignored by the BBC News channel while they have spent at least 5 minutes on US state court rulings on various days. During US primetime, AJE does a better job of balancing than the BBC and isn't trying to copy CNN in a sense by providing a global perspective while still covering some major US news.

This bulletin during US primetime with Martine Croxall is an example of what made BBC World superior to post-2015 BBC WN. A wide mix of stories from around the world, slightly faster pace than now but still having a few interviews. It's amazing to see headlines from Latin America, something you wouldn't see today as they ignore that area these days. AJE is what BBC World was. Unfortunately, it's probably not profitable for the BBC. It does seem BBC News doesn't know what it wants or needs to be unlike AJE, CNNi or France 24.
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 11 users Like Independent's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DTV, Frances, interestednovice, Quantum+83, thePineapple, TVFan, UTVLifer, woodnorton

I will usually try and defend BBC News to the hilt but a live feed on their News website about This Morning's return after the weekend?

Ridiculous. Talk about giving free publicity to itv.
[-] The following 7 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chaose, chrisherald, Pips2022, Quantum+83, woodnorton

It looks like the BBC News website has now been subcontracted out to Reach PLC, as they’ve now got a live feed giving a running commentary on todays episode of This Morning - not a news story of anything significant being said, but an actual live feed

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 15 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, LDN, matthieu1221, Quantum+83, Stuart, Studio7, SuperSajuuk, TVFan, UTVLifer, woodnorton, Yorksman

(29-05-2023, 10:24 AM)Andrew Wrote:  It looks like the BBC News website has now been subcontracted out to Reach PLC, as they’ve now got a live feed giving a running commentary on todays episode of This Morning - not a news story of anything significant being said, but an actual live feed

www.bbc.co.uk 

WTF is this? 
[Image: this-morning-bbc-bs.png]

Why is this mindless bilge being presented as news coverage?