Coronation of King Charles III

(07-05-2023, 01:29 AM)Nobby Wrote:  Surprised there has been no mention of Kirsty Young calling Anton Du Beke, Anton Du Burke.

...and Kay Burley called Camilla, Camilly on one occasion.

(07-05-2023, 07:24 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  
(06-05-2023, 07:22 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So why was BBC One HD affected? - this is our national broadcaster. I switched back to Sky News and they were fine.

Haven't yet had confirmation from those in the know, but it looks like it was a Dolby E decoding issue.

Dolby E is the format used to transport 5.1 and 7.1 audio over two standard PCM audio tracks, commonly used by remote broadcasts like yesterday's coronation. Unfortunately it's also extremely finicky. If everything's not perfect it completely drops out, and it seems that happened multiple times yesterday.

Which is why the BBC One HD broadcast, which is 5.1, had issues whereas BBC One SD and iPlayer UHD which took the stereo feed were ok.

I really feel for the Engineers involved as they no doubt would have tested it all prior to broadcast, and had all sorts of redundancy in place. Sod's law however is that it will go wrong when you really don't want it to.
Sky's Dolby Atmos feed was perfect.

Bet the BBC are hoping to get the royal carol service back from ITV this year - lick lick, slop slop, cringe fawn from the BBC it seems

(07-05-2023, 09:06 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Bet the BBC are hoping to get the royal carol service back from ITV this year - lick lick, slop slop, cringe fawn from the BBC it seems

Well, even if it doesn't, the royal Christmas carols is a BBC Studios production for ITV anyway, so it's not as if the BBC is losing out in any significant way.

And they're hardly going to have any dissenting republican acts in a Coronation Concert this evening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reith85's post:
  • Ma76

Feel they should have stayed on the main stage at Windsor during the national anthem, looked spectacular

(07-05-2023, 08:41 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Nothing ever rates more than 30m, that seems to be the limit.

So you could say the public ‘aren’t bothered’ about anything televised if you are that way inclined

Strictly must be pretty rubbish, less than a 6th of the population tunes in, and Happy Valley didn’t capture the public’s attention, as most of them didn’t watch….

Yeah, you could compre Strictly and Happy Valley to the coronation of our King but it would be pretty daft to do so.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • bkman1990, James2001

(07-05-2023, 09:34 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  
(07-05-2023, 08:41 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Nothing ever rates more than 30m, that seems to be the limit.

So you could say the public ‘aren’t bothered’ about anything televised if you are that way inclined

Strictly must be pretty rubbish, less than a 6th of the population tunes in, and Happy Valley didn’t capture the public’s attention, as most of them didn’t watch….

Yeah, you could compre Strictly and Happy Valley to the coronation of our King but it would be pretty daft to do so.

You know I am not comparing them, you are being deliberately confrontational 

What I am saying is that big TV programmes get up to 10m, exceptional moments of national importance can get 20-25m, nothing EVER gets more than 30m. So as a starting point already half the population aren’t watching. It’s how many watch after you’ve taken that into account that is important.
[-] The following 7 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, itsrobert, Jeff, Ma76

I have been watching the concert, and I thought it has been reasonable. The odd mishap and clunks from presentation including an awkward moment when James Nesbitt remained silent as his autocue didn't work - other than that, it was nice seeing the royal family let their hair down (most of them don't have much to let down anyway) - seeing Prince Edward and Sophie doing their best parent dancing, much to the embarrassment of their kids was fun.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • AndrewP, Ma76

Just like with the Platinum Jubilee concert last year, I'm surprised that they didn't go back to Kirsty Young at the end to sign off the BBC's coronation coverage
[-] The following 6 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, Ma76

I thought the staging tonight was excellent. I know some artists appeared reluctant to perform, but 90 minutes seemed very short.
[-] The following 7 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76, Reith85, UTVLifer

(07-05-2023, 10:06 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Just like with the Platinum Jubilee concert last year, I'm surprised that they didn't go back to Kirsty Young at the end to sign off the BBC's coronation coverage

Indeed it was a pretty sudden ending and as a result no final sign off to end the coverage

I wonder if some of the acts who declined the invitation are regretting their decision not to be part of it

Also that street party programme this afternoon was a pretty strange affair, kind of a BBC News/Breakfast sort of programme, not using the coronation branding or any of the coronation presenters.
[-] The following 6 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76, UTVLifer